Psychology Today Featured Series
- How Financial Infidelity Can Affect Your Gray Divorce
- How to protect yourself, your adult children, and your grandchildren.
- Why Adult Children of Gray Divorce Have Mixed Feelings
- Painful parent-child relationships affect children, even into adulthood.
- How Gray Divorce Affects Adult Children
- Adverse childhood experiences affect children even into adulthood.
- Why Some Adult Children of Gray Divorce Aren't Upset
- Family trauma affects children, and the effects can continue into adulthood.
- How Parents of Gray Divorce Can Help Their Adult Children
- How parents dating, re-partnering, or remarrying can affect adult children
- How Can Parents of Gray Divorce Help Their Adult Children?
- It may surprise you how your adult children feel about your dating.
- 6 Tips for Parents of Gray Divorce to Help Their Adult Children
- You may be surprised that you are hurting your adult child.
- Gray Divorce Can Impact Adult Children in Surprising Ways
- Part 3: Tips to help you and your adult children heal your pain and losses.
- How Parents in a Gray Divorce Can Help Their Adult Children (Part 2)
- Part 2: Ongoing conflict between parents hurts children of all ages.
- How Parents of Gray Divorce Can Help Their Adult Children (Part 1)
- Your adult children may be hurting more than you think.
- How Forgiveness Can Help the Grief Process in Gray Divorce
- Grieving and forgiveness are foundational for healing.
- Understanding Gray Divorce and the Grieving Process
- Learning about the grief process can help you and those you love.
- Gray Divorce Can Cause Shock, Then Grief
- Part 1: You may be surprised how the losses from gray divorce can affect you.
- Adult Children: Stakeholders in Their Parent's Gray Divorce?
- Parents may be oblivious to the roles their adult children play.
- How Can Gray Divorce Affect Middle-Aged Children?
- Middle-aged children can experience many confusing and painful effects.
- How Gray Divorce Affects Family Relationships
- Adult children can hurt, too.
- Why the Divorce Rate for Older Couples Keeps Rising
- Conflict isn't good for our health, especially as we age.
- 6 Pitfalls to Avoid When Divorcing in Your Golden Years
- Part 2: These tips can help you support your adult children.
- Pitfalls to Avoid If You Divorce in Your Golden Years
- These tips can help you support your adult children.
- How to Avoid Taking Sides in Your Parents’ Gray Divorce
- Six tips to help you during this stressful time.
Podcasts and Radio Appearances
- Journey Beyond Divorce: The Plight of Adult Children
- Alaska Public Radio: Gray divorce — causes, consequences and prevention
- Doing Divorce Right: Home Will Never Be The Same Again
- Southern California Public Radio: After Gates’ Divorce, We Discuss Rise in ‘Gray Divorce’ And Impact On Adult Children
- TruStoryFM: Navigating Gray Divorce in the Family
- Grey Divorces and Their Impact on Adult Children
- Bloomer Boomer - Home Will Never Be The Same Again
- Why Couldn’t They Just Stay Together with Carol Hughes
- Blended: All You Need Is Love
- The Forgotten Victims of Gray Divorce: The Effects on Adult Children with Hughes and Fredenburg- Why Couldn’t They Just Stay Together with Carol Hughes
International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
Collaborative Practice California
Non-violent Communication and Dispute Resolution
- Davis, Laura. I Thought We’d Never Speak Again, The Road from Estrangement to Reconciliation, Harper-Collins, 2002.
- Ellison, Sharon. Taking the War Out of Our Words: The Art of Powerful Non-defensive Communication, Bay Tree Pub, 2002.
- Fisher, Roger, William Ury, and Bruce Patton. Getting to Yes” Negotiation Agreement Without Giving In., Revised Edition, Penguin Books, 2011.
- Hart, Sura, and Victoria Kindle Hudson. Respectful Parents Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation, Puddledancer Press, 2006.
- Mnookin, Robert. Beyond Winning, Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Rosenberg, Marshall. Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Compassion. Puddledancer Press, 1999.
- Rosenberg, Marshall. Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change the World, Puddledancer Press, 2005.
- Ruiz, Don Miguel. The Four Agreements, Amber-Allen Publishing, 1997.
- Tannen, Deborah. You Just Don’t Understand, HarperCollins, 1990.
Divorce and Separation
- Ahrons, Constance. The Good Divorce, William Morrow Paperbacks, 1995.
- Ahrons, Constance, We’re Still Family, Harper Perennial, 2005.
- Bonnell, Kare, and Kristin Little. The Coparenting Handbook: Raising Well-adjusted and Resilient Kids from Little Ones to Young Adult Through Separation or Divorce. Sasquatch Books, 2017.
- Bonnell, Karen, and Patricia Papernow. The Stepfamily Handbook: From Dating to Getting Serious to Becoming a “Blended Family,” Kindle, 2020.
- Cameron, Nancy J. Collaborative Practice: Deeping the Dialogue. The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2004.
- Eddy, Bill. Biff: Quick Responses to High Conflict People, Their Hostile Emails, Personal Attacks and Social Media Meltdowns, High Conflict Institute Press, 2011
- Eddy, Bill. Don’t Alienate the Kids: Raising Resilient Children While Avoiding High-Conflict Divorce, Second Edition. Unhooked Books, 2020.
- Eddy, Bill. High Conflict Personalities in Legal Disputes, Kindle Edition, High Conflict Institute Press, 2016
- Eddy, Bill, It’s All Your Fault: 12 Tips for Managing People Who Blame Others for Everything, High Conflict Institute Press, 2012
- Eddy, Bill, and Randy Kreger. Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing a Borderline or Narcissist, New Harbinger Publications, 2011.
- Emery, Robert. The Truth about Children and Divorce. Plume, 2006.
- Gaies, Jeremy, and James Morris. Mindful Coparenting: A Child-Friendly Path Through Divorce.
- CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014.
- Jenkins, Joryn. War or Peace: avoid the Destruction of Divorce. Joryn Jenkins, 2014.
- Jenkins, Joryn. I Never Saw My Father Again. Joryn Jenkins, 2015.
- Papernow, Patricia. Surviving and Thriving in Stepfamily Relationships: What Works and What Doesn’t. Routledge, 2013.
- Pedro-Carroll, JoAnne. Putting Children First: Proven Parenting Strategies for Helping Children Thrive through Divorce. Avery, 2010.
- Tesler, Pauline, and Peggy Thompson. Collaborative Divorce: The Revolutionary New Way to Restructure Your Family, Resolve Legal Issues, and Move on with Your Life. William Morrow Paperbacks, 2007.
- Thayer, Elizabeth, and Jeffrey Zimmerman. The Coparenting Survival Guide. New Harbinger Press, 2001.
- Wallerstein, Judith, and Sandra Blakeslee. The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: The 25 Year Landmark Study. Hatchett Books, 2001.
- Webb, Stuart and Ron Ousky. The Collaborative Way to Divorce: The Revolutionary Method that Results in Less Stress, Lower Costs, and Happier Kids--Without Going to Court. Plume, 2007.
- Blume, Judy. It’s Not the End or the World, Reprint edition. Atheneum Books for Young Readers. 2014. (8 – 12 years)
- Cain, Barbara. Double-Dip Feelings: Stories to Help Children Understand Emotions. Magination Press; 2nd Revised edition, 2001. (4- 8 years)
- Cleary, Beverly. Dear Mr. Henshaw. Harper Collins; Reprint edition 2000. (8 – 12 years)
- Christiansen, C.B. My Mother’s House, My Father’s House. Puffin, 1990 (5 – 10 years)
- Cruise, Robin. The Top Secret Journal of Fiona Claire Jardin. Hmh Books for Young Readers, 2000. (8 -12)
- Evens, Maria D. This Is Me and My Two Families. Magination Press, 2000.
- Ford, Melanie, Annie Steven, and Jann Blackstone-Ford. My Parents Are Divorced Too: A Book Kids by Kids, Second Edition. Imagination Press, 2006. (Ages 10 -13 years)
- Hoffman, Mary. Boundless Grace. Puffin Books, 2000. (4 – 8 years)
- Karst, Patrice. The Invisible String. Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; Reprint edition, 2018. (4 – 8 years)
- Masurel, Claire. My Two Homes. Candlewick; Reprint edition 2003. (3- 7 years)
- Park, Barbara. Don’t Make Me Smile. Yearling; Reissue edition, 2002.) (8 – 12 years)
- Ranson, Jeanie Franz. I Don’t Want to Talk About It. Imagination Press, 2009. (4 – 10 years)
- Ricci, Nina. Mom’s House Dad’s House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One Home or Two. Touchstone, 2006. (5 years and up)
- Voight, Cynthia. Solitary Blue. Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2001
- Winchester, Kent, and Roberta Beyer. What in the World Do You Do, When Your Parents? A Survival Guide for Kids Divorce. Free Spirit Publishing, 2001.
- Luskin, Fred, Forgive for Good: A Proven Prescription for Health and Happiness. HarperOne, 2003.
- Naff, Monza, Must We Say We Did Not Love the Need for Divorce Rituals in Our Time. Wyatt-MacKenzie Publishing, Inc., 2008.
- Thomas, Katherine Woodward. Conscious Uncoupling: 5 Steps to Living Happily Even After. Harmony, 2016.
- Wilson, Karen Kahn. Transformational Divorce. New Harbinger Publications, 2003.
- Woodhouse, Violet, and Matthew Perry. Divorce and Money: How to Make the Best Financial Decisions During the Divorce. Nolo Press, 2013.
Parenting – General
- Dreikurs, Rudolf, and Vicki Stoltz. Children: The Challenge: The Classic Work on Improving Parent-Child Relations--Intelligent, Humane & Eminently Practical. Plume, 1991.
- Faber, Adele, and Elaine Mazlish. How to Talk So Kids Can Learn: At Home and in School, Schribner, 1996.
- Faber, Adele, and Elaine Mazlish. How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and How to Listen So Kids Will Talk, Penguin Books, Piccadilly Press Ltd, Schribner 2012.
- Faber, Adele and Elaine Mazlish. How To Talk So Teens Will Listen and How To Listen So Teens Will Talk, Penguin Books, Piccadilly Press Ltd, 2006.
- Siegel, Daniel. Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive: 10th Anniversary Edition Paperback. TarcherPerigee, 2013.
- Siegel, Daniel and Tina Payne. No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind. Bantam, Reprint edition, 2016.